Today…February 9, 2016 my niece will be born into this glorious world. She comes into it the same way our daughter Nicole did 25 years ago…via IVF. Things have changed so much in the past 25 years but the wishes that we have for a beautiful new life remain the same. These are the things that I wish for you my dear M:
- That you will know more happiness than pain and that you soon realize that happiness can usually be found all around you if you will just seek it out.
- That you will be brave and stand up for the things that are important because it is the right thing to do.
- That you will know the kind of love that is deep, eternal and true. And that you walk away from anyone who tries to give you less.
- That you know the gift of friendship and treasure the people you let into your life as long as they treasure you back.
- That you marvel at something that you have seen or experienced everyday so you remember to appreciate all that you have.
- That you will not be afraid to take risks when those risks allow you to follow your dreams.
- That you remember that it is okay to disagree and it doesn’t make you a “bad” person.
- That the gifts of patience, joy, loyalty are bountiful in your life.
- That you find what makes you laugh and then do a lot of it.
- That you remember to skip at least once a day.
- That you view your mistakes as opportunities for further growth and realize that they are not the end of the world.
- That you understand that perfection is just an arbitrary word.
- That you believe you have family who know you, understand you and accept you for who you are and you turn to them when needed.
- That you possess the wisdom to know what you don’t know but that you have the ability to find out what you need to know when you need to know it.
- That you experience confidence in all areas of your life.
- That you have the understanding that whatever has happened in the past is over and that each day brings new opportunities if you choose to seek them out.
- That you have the courage to look at yourself as you really are.
- That Peace On Earth becomes more than just a holiday slogan.
- That you learn to trust in yourself and others…but mostly yourself.
- That your spirit is awakened and that you know that you do not walk alone in this world.
THE REST OF THE STORY
My BIL and SIL were lucky to finally find each other late in their lives. They married four years ago and wanted nothing more than to make babies. Unfortunately, they were unable to do so. Last year they found out about two children who needed a home and they inquired about adopting them but the state said that they were trying for parental reunification and because of this and the fact that they were out of state it would not be possible for them to adopt these children.
Last March my BIL & SIL heard about an IVF program that offered six tries and if you did not get pregnant your money was refunded; so they decided that they would try. The procedure was done in May 2015 and they were due to find out if they were pregnant June 1. May 29th the state called and asked if they would be willing to adopt the two children who were now three and two. They said absolutely. June first they found out they were pregnant. In November the two girls came to live with them and now we wait for the birth of M.
To say their lives have changed is an understatement. They are 50 and 49 as they just begin their journey into parenthood with three children all under the age of four. Where most of us are taking the kids to college they are changing diapers and visiting pre-schools. It’s a good reminder that sometimes we just don’t know in which direction our lives will take us and often we will experience many surprises along the way. So to all those people out there who are waiting for a child to love never give up hope for you never know just how your story will turn out. Maybe you will conceive, maybe you will adopt, or maybe you will create a family that is unique and just right for you. As a mom who had been told she would never be able to have a child, and who now has six; you just never know what the journey will look like when you are just starting out because life just throws you little surprises all along the way.
Happy Birthday, M! I can hardly wait to meet you and find out who you are!