One of the good things about Autism is that sometimes it qualifies you for services that will help your children navigate the world both now and in the future. Several years ago we had individuals trained in ABA therapy come into our home five days a week teaching our boys such things as social skills, safety awareness, and on one occasion we had THE SEX TALK with the therapist leading the conversation. These are just a few of the comments made during that discourse:
- If THAT is what it is suppose to be used for, why am I only finding out about it now?
- That’s a relief! I thought after you used it once it fell off!
- I hope Mom doesn’t take mine away like she did Max (we had just had the dog neutered)
- After this, I REALLY don’t want to know what they are going to tell me when I am in seventh grade.
- Oh geez I am only 11 years old and the thought of a man and woman having sex makes my penis want to throw up!
- I think that this will blow Paul’s mind when he hears about this. Not in a good way either.
- Is that what they mean by “an endless black hole?” (Yes,he said that with total sincerity)
- If sex feels good why does anyone stop doing it?
- I think I want to go into the condom business
- If it takes two people to make a baby, what do three people make? ( I have NO idea where that came from!)
Since that time the questions have evolved and become more sophisticated. Last week we graduated to sexual consent and I found a video that was probably the best description of it I have ever seen. Every young man should see this before he even considers having sex. Every young lady too. So here it is. And now I think I will go get a cup of tea.